Thursday, January 20, 2011

What Daddy has taught her...

Libby was in the backseat while Mom and I were driving to meet her other grandparents in Cordele. We stopped at McDonalds to meet them, and I unbuckled Libby so she could play in the backseat while we parked and waited. I was listening to music and relaxing when I felt her presence behind my shoulder. I turned to find her picking her nose." Libby Pullen! That's so gross, you need a tissue! Don't you wipe that on my seat." She replied, " Oh Mommy, don't worry. Daddy taught me how to roll it up....(as she made the hand gesture to explain) and then you just "Fwick It!" (as she flicked the imaginary booger)."

It also reminds me of a time about a year ago, when Libby had just turned two, and the new Chickfila was built in Bonaire. I had pulled through the drive through one afternoon to pick up my favorite Diet Lemonade. When I pulled to the speaker, Libby began rattling off behind me, " Um, yes, a Coke, no ice, biscuit and that's it..." I turned around and asked her what she had said. She calmly repeated it too me in her little two year old voice. It then dawned on me....Brad must have brought her through the drive through at some point. So, I called him and asked why Libby was ordering HIS favorite things from Chickfila. Sheepishly, he admitted to me that he had been sneaking to Chickfila in the mornings while driving her to the babysitter. Needless to say, his little "secret" was no more. :)

I am thankful for the things that Libby learns from her daddy. He is teaching her things that I never could (for instance, how to "fwick" a booger). It reminds me how important a role that her daddy really plays in her life. Sure, he doesn't always match her clothes, he lets her eat candy for breakfast, and he has absolutely no clue how to play "tea party". However, I don't know how to teach her to dribble a soccer ball, or how to act like a "monkey" on the playground, or how to speak in this very strange make believe language that Brad and Libby share. More importantly, Brad is responsible for teaching and showing Libby how a man is supposed to treat his wife. He is teaching her how she is supposed to respect me. He is showing her how a husband is supposed to treat his wife. Brad has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, and he's doing a pretty good job.

Brad is also teaching Libby about how fun life can be. One of my favorite activities is to watch them play. Libby will run squealing through the house, while Brad chases her, he scoops her up and she flies around the living room, laughing and giggling. They play on the computer looking for fun music to dance around the house too. He puts her in his lap and lets her "steer" the wheel, while he spins around in the cul-de-sac. (Much to my horror!) He lets her paint his toenails, and tells her what a beautiful little princess she is.

I think that Brad would agree that his greatest joy is putting her to sleep at night, and as he kisses her goodnight, she always looks up and says, "I love you sooo much Daddy-da!" He's admitted that she can pretty much melt his heart. He loves that little girl. There is something so magical about watching your husband become a father. It makes me love him more, it makes me so happy. He was meant for this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment